While we try to teach our children about life, our children teach us what life is all about.
.
I'M BAAAACK!!! Please stick with me as I try to get caught up on some overwhelmingly behind blogging!







Sunday, July 20, 2008

Jiu-Jitsu

So, Jeremy and I have been searching for something to get Braiden into that will help him with coordination and self awareness, because Braiden is a little on the clumsy side (I tried to think of a more gentle word, but lets not dance around the issue, he is clumsy. I have seen him trip on air).


We looked into a few things, Gymnastics, Dance, but it just didn't work out with times, so we were driving downtown and noticed the new martial arts academy and we thought this might be something to look into. I called, and I got the information, I then meet with Matt the owner and after some debate we decided Jiu Jitsu was a good thing for Braiden (Braiden calls it his "JITSU" class). When I was signing Braiden up I noticed how far behind the school was with regards to remodeling (they remodeled the old ostranders building) so like always I volunteered my trusty husband (he enjoys helping people, and it was for Braiden, so he was happy to do it). Volunteering Husbands must run in my family because it turned out that Brilee Volunteered Martin as well. They spent two weeks of evenings (some even went as late as 1:00 in the mourning) to get it ready. the school still has a lot to finish but at least it is ready to start classes.
Jeremy secretly has wanted to do something like this for a long time, but he felt with the new business he couldn't take the time or money to do it, but after a little persuasion from his lovely wife and A LOT of persuasion from Matt he decided to do it. So they both had their first class yesterday. It was so fun, I only was able to watch for a few minutes, but the little I saw I am so excited for them both.


A cute little story, they started the class with some cardio stuff (I don't know how they will start in Braidens actual kids class because this was just a starter class with all levels), they did some jumping jacks, which Braiden has no clue how to do, then push-ups, and some sit-ups, then they repeated the exercises, by the time Braiden got to the sit-ups the second time he threw his hands up and said in true Braiden fashion "I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO THIS, I AM JUST A KID!!!" It was soo cute. I left at this point, but I guess he had a lot of fun because he talked about it for awhile and he can't wait to go back. Jeremy Loved it as well, it is different than wrestling, in the fact that it is o.k. to be on your back (a sin in wrestling) but he said it was so much fun, and a great workout.


When I came to pick up the boys the last picture is what I saw, Braiden on his teacher Christiano's(sp) shoulders. I guess the kids class doesn't go as long as this particular class went so Braiden was pooped. Christiano said that their class does a lot of games and they really emphasise learning were your body is and what it is doing, something Braiden will benefit from. So we are all vary excited!! The reason that they aren't in a Gi (uniform) like everyone else is because they haven't arrived yet, I will post pictures as soon as he gets it.


Kyle started his class as well. He is taking Tae Kwon Do.

He had a fun class, he said he really liked it and he even showed us a kick that they learned.
He is so darn cute in his "Gi".

2 comments:

Mike & Crissy said...

That is so cool that Jeremy and Braiden are doing this together and that Mike and Jeremy are in the same class! Mike has a wrestling background too, but is totally THRILLED to have something like this in EBurg. After talking to you today I'm actually contemplating letting Wyatt try it. He told me "that looks like a fun thing to do!" So, we'll see - you'll have to keep me posted on how Braiden is doing! Jiu-Jitsu - who would have thought!

Levi and Stephanie Teasley said...

Gemma!
I love the pics! It's so good to see your little ones...they are beautiful! I love that Braiden is doing Jui-Jitsu...Ezri's actually been talking about "Karate" and I've been meaning to go down and at a look at what they offer in town for little ones! I'd love to get together with you sometime...but for now it's great to keep up this way!
Steph